Friday, September 16, 2011

Structure of Arguments

To effectively analyze a structure, you should answer the following questions:

-Argument? (yes or no) If an argument, number each part the might be a claim.
-Conclusion:
-Additional premises needed?
-Identify any subargument:
-Good argument? 

Chosen exercise: 2. I’m on my way to school. I left 5 minutes late. Traffic is heavy.  Therefore, I’ll be late for class.  So I might as well stop and get breakfast.

It is an argument because the premises validate the conclusion, but it is a bad argument because there are many different scenarios where the premises can be found false. The conclusion is “Therefore, I’ll be late for class. So I might as well stop and get breakfast". A subargument is if there was any important material that was presented in class, for example a test, quiz, or material need for homework, that she could have possibly missed because she went to breakfast. Without knowing this information, she should not miss class.  So after answering the questions Epstein provided, we are able to come to the conclusion that exercise two is an argument but it is has a very weak structured argument.

1 comment:

  1. I also like this example and was thinking of using it but I chose another example instead. What I like about this exercise and this class is that it helps one analyze others’ ideas toward oneself as well as how one convey oneself to others. I work in a public service at the library and it really astonishes me every time I see how illogical a person can be. If only everyone have an opportunity to study and understand how to be more logical in their reasoning and communication, a lot of fights, misunderstandings, and tragedies could have been averted.

    ReplyDelete