Necessary criteria for cause and effect claims.
-The cause happened (the claim describing it is true)
-The effect happened (the claim describing it is true)
-The cause precedes the effect
-It is (nearly) impossible for the cause to happen (be true) and the effect not to happen (be false), given the normal conditions
-The cause makes a difference—if the cause had not happened (been true), the effect would not have happened (been true)
-There is no common cause
I decided to use these criteria to see if my example claim is indeed a cause and effect claim. My example claim was:
“Fear of being late to work causes me to leave early enough every morning to be on time”
Evaluation: The cause: fear of being late to work, the effect: leaving the house on time. In this claim the cause does precede the effect. The effect of me getting up early enough for work is almost solely because of the cause of the fear of being late. The cause does make a difference. Fear is a common cause but over all I would still consider this to be a cause and effect claim.
Very good job on evaluating the criteria for the example you made. The cause does precede the claim but I can also see if you are afraid of being late to work you there would be plenty of reason why you would want to go to work early. For instance, you want to be there on time that is why you want to start driving early and not be stuck in traffic. You may want to give yourself plenty of time you would be stressed if there was accident on the road. You may even love your job so much that you can’t wait to start working each day.
ReplyDeleteYou have provided great details on the criteria. I like how you have given a example and evaluated. I liked how you gave a really life problem.If you do this that would happen cause and effect. You have a fear getting late to work, so you leave early. Overall, you have done a great job.
ReplyDeleteAwesome job on your post Catastro Phi! This was very detailed and provided a great explanation. I really like how you described the necessary criteria for cause and effect claims. You picked a great example as well where the cause does precede the effect. Your example was straight to the point as well. I can definitely relate to your example as well. Traffic in San Jose can be quite crazy and hectic, so it is always smart to be prepared to leave early. Especially so you do not get fired! I am sure many other people can relate to this as well! Great job overall!
ReplyDelete